Re: DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual Digital problems

Kielogl wrote:
> Just added a new DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual Digital tuner card for MythTV on FC5 and have come across some problems. The card seems to be initializing ok, as per dmesg | grep -i dvb:
>
> cx2388x dvb driver version 0.0.6 loaded
> CORE cx88[0]: subsystem: 18ac:db50, board: DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual Digital [card=44,autodetected]
> cx88[0]/2: cx2388x based dvb card
> DVB: registering new adapter (cx88[0]).
> DVB: registering frontend 0 (Zarlink ZL10353 DVB-T)...
> dvb-usb: found a 'DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual USB' in cold state, will try to load a firmware
> dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-bluebird-01.fw'
> usbcore: registered new driver dvb_usb_cxusb
> dvb-usb: generic DVB-USB module successfully deinitialized and disconnected.
> dvb-usb: found a 'DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual USB' in warm state.
> dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
> DVB: registering new adapter (DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual USB).
> DVB: registering frontend 1 (Zarlink ZL10353 DVB-T)...
> input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /class/input/input2
> dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 150 msecs.
> dvb-usb: DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual USB successfully initialized and connected.
>
> I am using the current FC5 kernel, 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5, and last built v4l-dvb from the mercurial source at linuxtv.org earlier this week (24 Sept 2006).
>
> Both receivers initially work fine in MythTV, except the PCI receiver is not able to receive the SBS channel here in Melbourne, Australia. SBS works fine on the USB receiver. (To get SBS and channel Nine to work at all, I had to add the +166667Hz offset to the channel frequency, as per http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006-July/011623.html.)
>
> It seemed like a signal strength problem with the SBS channel, as lock can be slow and frame updates are delayed/pixelated/corrupt. However, I tried the card/antenna in a WinXP machine and all channels are received perfectly. The Windows receiver app shows the signal strength is 100% for all channels:
>
> ABC   - 100% (29.1dB)
> Seven - 100% (30.1dB)
> Nine  - 100% (30.6dB)
> Ten   - 100% (29.0dB)
> SBS   - 100% (25.3dB)
>
> After working ok initially for anywhere up to a day or so (except for SBS on PCI), the second problem happens. The USB receiver suddenly stops working and syslog is flooded with "bulk message failed" messages:
>
> dvb-usb: recv bulk message failed: -71
> dvb-usb: bulk message failed: -32 (1/0)
> last message repeated 14 times
> dvb-usb: bulk message failed: -32 (1/0)
> last message repeated 19 times
> dvb-usb: bulk message failed: -32 (1/0)
> last message repeated 20 times
>
> If I just reboot, the /dev/dvb/adapter1/* devices are missing. The only way I can get it working again is by shutting down the system, and pulling the power before restarting, so the firmware for the USB receiver is reloaded.

> [...]

AFAIK, These problems have all been fixed in our development tree hosted
on linuxtv.org ...  You have to change around some #ifdef kernel version
tests in the code if you want it to build correctly against fc5's
backported 2.6.18 kernel, (which reports itself as 2.6.17).

For info, see:  http://linuxtv.org/repo

There was an email recently on the list that explains what code needs to
be changed to make it work on FC5, but an easier way to install those
modules would be using ATrpms ... just do:

yum install video4linux-kmdl-`uname -r`

...after a reboot, you should be all fixed.

Cheers,

Mike