How do I install properly (Fedora 5 and nova-t-500)?

Hi,

I'm trying to get my nova-t-500 working on Fedora 5 (2.6.17 kernel), but the
card isn't recognised at startup - dmesg returns an error "no version
for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted." and lists a number of unknown
symbols. I've searched Google and from what I've read this is caused by some
conflict between the kernel version and the version of v4l?

What I don't understand is that if I "make load" from the root of the tree I
downloaded and run dmesg again, the card is found, the firmware is loaded and
it is "warm" (I assume that means ready?).

My install process was:
1) Installed video4linux from atrpms using yum.
2) Downloaded the bz2 tree from http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb?
cmd=manifest;manifest=750f8bd102c3c4d1264dc0dd2e50a4550c0fd312;path=/;style=gi
tweb
3) unpacked the tree
4) cd'ed to the root of the tree
5) make clean, make distclean, make
6) Edited two lines in dvb_net_c to resolve the problem described here:
http://lists-archives.org/video4linux/11995-2-6-17-git4-dvb_net-c-1141-error-
struct-net_device-has-no-member-named-xmit_lock.html
7) Same as 5) once more - this time without errors - but some warnings about
deprecated sleep-timer in some modules
8) make unload
9) make install
10) make load
11) reboot

Am I doing something wrong here? i have searched and tried to read up on the
procedure but I'm not getting anywhere with this except that I may be
compiling against a wrong kernel version. But what should I do to compile
against the right version, then?