Re: cx88 pci_abort messages

On Sep 19, 2006, at 7:12 PM, Peter Fern wrote:
Scott wrote:
I have a FusionHDTV5 Gold RT running under Gentoo and vanilla kernel
2.6.18-rc7. The drivers load and I can view OTA ATSC streams using
mplayer.

I'm seeing the following message log:

    cx88[0]: irq mpeg  [0x80000] pci_abort*
    cx88[0]/2: general errors: 0x00080000

What can cause these messages? Are the safe to ignore? Some output
from my logs and lspci:

These are generally caused by another device stealing the IRQ from the
tuner card, and this is likely to cause corruption in your MPEG stream.
To find out what devices the card is sharing an interrupt with, `cat
/proc/interrupts`.  Shuffle the card around until it's not sharing any
more, or
until it's sharing with a device that has sensible interrupt handling.

I'm continuing to troubleshoot the above problem. Since I was seeing this under 2.6.18-r7 and 2.6.17-r8-gentoo (uses a slightly older version of linux-dvb and cx88 driver) I've moved back to using the 2.6.17-r8-gentoo kernel. That of course didn't make to much of a difference, I didn't expect it to.

As suggested, I moved the card to another PCI slot. Now, instead of sharing an IRQ with the onboard Intel HDA audio, the card shares an IRQ with two USB controllers. That shouldn't be to bad. The only items on the USB bus are an LCD/IR imon receiver and other unused hub devices. But I still see the pci_abort messages while using the FusionHDTV5 Gold RT card to capture capture or view video. This is seen using either MythTV or mplayer.

So I'm wondering, what _else_ besides a device hogging the PCI bus might cause the above errors? I did find that by playing around in bios and setting my DDR2 667 memory to DDR2 533 and changing the default PCI bus latency from 64 to 32 seemed to help things out greatly. I still see the errors, but I don't see dozens of errors every few seconds now.

Any suggestions? Appreciate all the help!

--
Scott