[Re: Compro Videomate DVB-T200 and friends

Meant to send this to the list rather than privately.  Bah.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re:  Compro Videomate DVB-T200 and friends
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 00:52:43 +0100
From: James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Hartmut Hackmann <hartmut.hackmann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
<4501D941.1080600@xxxxxxxxxxx> <4501E0AC.4000706@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
<4501F3D7.8070204@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hartmut Hackmann wrote:

> There are absolutely no messages regarding saa7130 in the kernel log?
> This would mean that the driver does not even see the card, otherwise
> you would at least see the initialization messages of the saa713x core
> driver - even if the card is unknown.
> Do you see the card if you do lspci?

Well, I'm confused now.  Perhaps I should say "even more confused" :)

I was told that using the stock FC5 kernel, I should install
video4linux-kmdl-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5-20060723-76.fc5.at.i686.rpm from
ATrpms.  Also, in frustration I've been searching google and came upon a
page that suggested using "modprobe saa7134 oss=1", so I did that.  Then
"modprobe saa7134-dvb".  All of a sudden, devices appear in /dev/dvb!
I really have no idea why adding the oss=1 option should change this,
as it doesn't seem relevant at all, but between the two changes it does
appear to hvae resolved the problem.

So, assuming I get the right options to pass to modprobe, it looks
the kernel does see the card and "do the right thing".  Of course we're
now at the point where the kernel thinks the card only has composite and
S-Video inputs, whereas I'm using a TV input.  Looks like the default is
the TV input though, as "scan" returns a load of tuning data.  If I can
help correct the card definition, please let me know what you need.

Oddly though, the DVB-T200 doesn't find all the available channels
(compared with a Hauppauge card I've just dropped in the same box).
Using the Hauppauge card, scan finds 86 channels.  Using the DVB-T200,
scan only finds 48.  Swapping the aerial inputs over doesn't make a
difference, so it looks like something to do with the cards.  Any
ideas?

James