Re: New VP7045 with TDA10046 instead of MT352 (was: VP7045 tuner doesn't work)

Hi all,

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Stewart Smith wrote:

> I seem to be having the same issue as Chris had:
>
> Chris Wylie <linux-dvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> > Has no one else heard of one of these tuners using the TDA10046? This
> > must be something very new.
>
> I haven't pulled mine apart (yet)... but it reports itself as a V1.02
> device.
> It would be interesting to know what the revision of the working
>
> > I have been studying the source code and it looks like vp7045-fe.c
> > contains similar code to mt352.c. The code in tda1004x.c could perhaps
> > be employed, don't yet see how to go about dynamically detecting which
> > of the two demod chips is present.
>
> I've started some hacking on the driver (largely blind) to see if I
> could get tda10046 frontend talking with the vp7045 driver.
>
> the tda10046 seems to be i2c based?
>
> and the only users seem to be the ttusb driver which uses a slightly
> different infrastructure than the vp7045?
>
> My current code does not find a front end (and so can't be used), the
> main problem being not picking up a i2c adapter. This could be for any
> number of reasons I don't yet know about (pointers of what to look at
> are quite welcome).
>
> Anybody able to explain a bit about i2c and dvb-usb?

Hmm, what exactly is it you want to know?

DVB-USB is layer, which includes some common code (for Linux DVB, USB,
I2C, Remote) which is exactly the same between all DVB-USB devices I
encountered so far.

To your device: I don't think, that you need to implement the control of
the tda10046 from the host. I really think that Twinhan put this into the
USB-controller (FX2) firmware. (like it is done with the mt352)

If you don't understand what this means, well, I'll try: Hmm, instead of
writing the email, I put it on a wiki page:
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB_USB#Additional_technical_information

So, now that you know, that your device is falling into the
firmware-controlled devices category, I think the next step is to get the
firmware from the windows-driver or discuss with Twinhan, if they can send
it.

You can use http://benoit.papillault.free.fr/usbsnoop/ to get the log of
the windows-driver.

best regards,