Re: v4l-dvb update (14:22 Aug 23rd. 2006)

Am Mittwoch, den 23.08.2006, 14:35 +0100 schrieb dave:
> I despair!
>
> Can someone point me in the direction of the basic project design document?
> (!!)
>
> I have just cloned (via hg) v4l-dvb into an empty file system
> and attempted 'make'
>
> to which I receive the response:
> *** No rule to make target '.config',  needed by '.myconfig'
>
> Please,.. what am I omitting to do? or doing that which I should not?

Hi Dave,

that usually indicates that you don't have the kernel source or you have
it e.g. on a not mounted disk partition. The "build" link
in /lib/modules/your_kernel_version ("uname -a") points to it.

The v4l-dvb mercurial repo is meant for recent so called vanilla kernels
from kernel.org. That always includes that you have the source prepared.

Nevertheless the development repository builds although on lots of
_recent_ distribution kernels, but this might include some minor hazzle.
How to come around for major distros you can mostly find here and on the
video4linux-list.

Latest announce about changes of the build system.
http://www.linuxtv.org/news.php?entry=2006-04-08-0.mchehab
More details in INSTALL within the mercurial. The scripts in use are in
v4l/scripts. The .config and .myconfig is also created in v4l as the
main Makefile.

For example on FedoraCore5 you would try "yum install kernel-devel" and
on the latest 2.6.17 stuff, which is in truth more 2.6.18, you would
have to work around the dvbnet.c compile error on xmit_lock, is here on
the list, by commenting out the compat stuff at the two locations there,
or forcing the newer lock version already for 2.6.17, since that kernel
really is 2.6.18 for that. (There is a Xen variant around using
_xmit_lock ...)

Good Luck,
Hermann