Card is working... Now, I just need some content!

After much fighting and help from the archives of this list, (thank you all) I've got my Twinhan 1025 DVB-S card working on Debian Linux kernel 2.6.17.7. By 'working' I mean I load all the drivers without error, /dev/dvb is populated, and even Kaffeine sees a DVB-S card ready for use. Now, How the heck do I get a signal to watch? I've spent hours deciphering information from lyngsat.com and pointing the dish with a compass and protractor only to get nothing. Or, output from dvbtune saying
Polling...
Polling...
Polling...
continues...

I'd like to use the scan prog from dvb-utils but the example files in /usr/share/doc/dvb-utls/examples/scan/dvb-s/ are all for satillites that I can't see from Southern California, USA.

Please, can anyone direct me to information on aiming and tuning a to a dvb-s signal in North America?

Thanks much!

Dave Schile