Re: Re: DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Plus on Suse 10.1 Kernel 2.6.16.13-4

On 12 Jul, Brett Carruthers wrote:
> Hi Christof,
>
> I have and did have the kernel-source yast package installed.
>
> Thanks for the instructions, however after make modules I try 'make
> modules-install' and it doesn't work, I get the output
> No rule to make target 'modules-install'. Stop
>
> Trying to make the v4l-dvb drivers doesn't work I still don't have the
> headers in the right place.
>
> My kernel is 2.6.16.13-4, and I'm using the boxed set Suse 10.1 DVD, not
> opensuse.

I have compiled with success (some weeks ago) v4l-dvb with the same
kernel version (I have Opensuse, x64, smp-kernel) with success simply by
"make" in the main folder v4l-dvb and installation with "make install".
In this way it does not take the kernel-source Makefile and it installs
simply the new modules in /lib/modules/2.6.16.13-4 (or:
/lib/modules/2.6.16.13-4-smp in my case)
over the existing modules of the Susekernel which may work or not. In my
case it seemed to work but gave these tainted messages from Novell
(which means that Novell-Suse does not give support when using the
modified kernel/modules).

However, later I found that my card (AverTV A800 USB) was already
supported in the Suse kernel and I reinstalled the kernel-rpm. Then for
another reason I applied a patch to the driver and then I recompiled it
with the v4l-dvb distribution but I did not install all modules, only
the ~7-10 modules needed by my card, i.e. I copied the *.ko files from
v4l-dvb to /lib/modules/2.6.16.13-4-smp and afterwards I updated the
kernel-configuration by "/sbin/depmod -a". This also works.

I have also compiled 2.6.17 and now I am running 2.6.18-rc1 which works
fine with Suse 10.1 and in particular it compiled fine with gcc 4.1
which I did not really expect! Only in the Vanilla kernel you don't have
the Novell support and there is one module not work ("armor-blabla" a
Novell specific thing for security I believe, since my PC is behind
another one which is NAT-router I don't care).
In all versions my patched AvertTV A800 works fine.

May be you should simply compile and install 2.6.17.4. Chances are good
that your card works out of the box because the recent kernels contain
also a relatively recent version of v4l-dvb, otherwise the compilation
of the latest v4l-dvb with the 2.6.17.4-sources will also be fine. You
can do this without touching the Suse-kernel. Install the new source tar
ball in your home-directory, copy the config file from
/boot/config-2.6.16-blabla to .config in the source tree, then "make
oldconfig", "make bzImage" "make modules", ... and do not forget to
create an initrd and install the new kernel and initrd in /boot with new
different names, add an entry for grub.

--
Klaus Frahm                             Laboratoire de Physique Théorique
UMR CNRS/UPS 5152   IRSAMC              tel : +33 5 6155 7663