Re: idea on how to break the static dependencies on demodulator modules

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> Combine this with the first problem, and you realise you have to:
> a) Remove the releases from dvb_unregister_frontend().
> b) dvb_unregister_dvb_attached_frontend() is pointless.
> c) And you have make the card drivers do the detach themselves so they can be
> flexible about what they do.
>
> This is exactly what js suggested: he saw this issue long before I did.
>
> So I've committed a new patch to my repos converting all the previous code to
> handle this.

Is there any point in using dvb_attach() for dvb-pll?  It seems like every
single card uses it, and there are still static calls to dvb_pll_configure(),
so it doesn't accomplish anything.  At least not so far.

The call to ops.i2c_gate_ctrl() after the tuner_ops.release() is missing now.
Does that matter?

There is a change in the way a NULL release method is handled.  It used to be
that a warning message was printed if the release method was missing.  Then it
was upgraded to BUG_ON if it was missing.  This latest behaviour is to
silently ignore a missing release, which is a significant change in direction.

Along with that, the dvb_detach() stub version is somewhat different than the
real version.  Real version:
Silently handle NULL function pointer
Set function pointer to NULL when done

Stub Version:
Crash on NULL function pointer
Doesn't set function pointer to NULL when done