Re: SAA7146 glitch on cold boot

Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 July 2006 22:04, Oliver Endriss wrote:
> > Andrew de Quincey wrote:

> > > Sure, I reduced it to:
> > >
> > > saa7146_write(budget->dev, MC1, MASK_20);	// DMA3 off
> > > saa7146_write(budget->dev, MC1, (MASK_04 | MASK_20));	/* DMA3 on */

Ok, if we cannot fix it otherwise, your patch should execute exactly
these 2 lines. There should be a FIXME comment explaining why the patch
has been added. I still hope that we can find the real bug. ;-)

> > Hm - this means that DMA3 has either not been started or is stuck.
> >
> > Does it make a difference if you add both lines at the end of
> > start_ts_capture?
>
> Nope no difference. I'd already tried this by stopping+starting dvbtraffic
> before I tuned... it doesn't help (I did try again tho adding the code to the
> driver to make sure).
>
> To recap:
>
> 1) start dvbtraffic
>
> 	-- IRQs are received from the saa7146.
>
> 2) tune and lock
>
> 	-- The IRQs suddenly halt for no reason.
>
> 3) restart dvbtraffic
>
> 	-- IRQs start again and everything works fine thereafter.
>
> And all only the very first time DMA is started on cold boot.

Very strange. I don't understand why it happens only once.

Basically, it looks like an initialization problem. On the other hand,
the data transfer was working and stops later.

Imho this does not look like a saa7146 bug. A hw bug should show up
anytime, not only once after booting.

Did you check the budget->feeding stuff? At the first glance it looks
strange to me that stop_ts_capture decrements budget->feeding
unconditionally, while start_ts_capture checks before incrementing.

Sorry, I will not be able to have a closer look at the code before the
end of the next week...

Oliver