Re: Re: [RFC:PATCH] Build system improvement

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Qua, 2006-06-21 ās 18:52 -0700, Trent Piepho escreveu:
> > The config-compat.h problem is still there. Unless you have more fixes for
> > this that aren't in Hg, I can fix this one.
> I did this fix on another test branch (just merging config-compat.h
> with .myconfig target), but I forgot to move this piece to the master.
> You can fix it if you want.

It is the script that makes config-compat.h that has the problem; the kernel's
settings aren't overridden for options that are off.

> > Is there a reason you don't just read autoconf.h, which doesn't have any
> > recursive includes to worry about?  It has all the config options in it.
> > The structure of config.h is somewhat more complex, for example the you
> > will read in asm/kgdb.h because config.h includes it.
> We may use autoconf.h, but when this were introduced? using config.h
> will take some more milisseconds, but it seems to be safer, in terms of
> backportability.

The autoconf.h file is in kernel 2.2.16 at least, in the same place and
appears to be the same format.  I didn't find it with kernel 2.0.36.
Somewhere in the 2.2 series should be plenty of back-compatability.

The thing I don't like about config.h, is that it is human written and
includes that kernel debugger header file.  These are not config format files
and so could have anything in them.  How can you be sure the file is parsed
correctly, when it could have anything in it?