Cleanup of whitespace

It's been annoying me how long make commit takes, about 20 seconds on my
computer.  So I wrote a fix whitespace script that is much much faster, less
than one second.  When I ran it, it found a lot of whitespace to fix in the
current Hg version, 100 lines in 34 files.

The current fix whitespace script will delete spaces at the beginning of a
line before a tab.  It will delete 1, 2, 3, and 5-7 spaces before the tab, but
not four spaces!

For example, look at saa6752hs.c lines 72 to 76.  They start with four spaces
and then a tab.  It seems like this is exactly the kind of thing the script
should find.

Is this intentional?  Or is it a mistake in the fix whitespace script?

If I submit a faster script, should I also submit a patch that does a big
whitespace fix to get all the stuff the current script missed?  Or should I
modify my faster script to copy the way the current one fixes 1 to 8 spaces,
but skips four spaces?