Re: How to access /dev/videoK from /dev/dvb/adapterN?

Kenneth Aafløy wrote:
Ralph Metzler skrev:
Since upcoming cards with decoder and V4L interface for those will
need it too, should we add a call for this? In the DVB video device?
We might also need something like this for audio.
Sounds like a good enhancement, maybe even make this a common V4L/DVB/?? ioctl, that applications can query for relations between devices?
I agree with the idea, although (slightly unrelated) I also think we should have some relation established between the v4l devices and dvb devices on hybrid devices as well. This isn't exactly the same idea as what Klaus is talking about, however.

In Klaus's case, he wants to create a relation between the dvb device and the v4l device on FF cards. I agree with the idea, but in addition, I would also like a relation drawn between dvb and video interfaces on hybrid cards that provide separate functionality of v4l inputs vs dvb inputs, where only one function may be used at a time.

For instance, MythTV allows concurrent use of multiple v4l/dvb devices all at the same time, however, on a given hybrid device, if the application is already recording a dvb stream, and it suddenly wants to use the v4l interface of the same device to record an analog stream, it fails. It would be nice if the driver had a way to tell userspace that the /dev/videoX and /dev/dvb/adapterX/* all belong to the same physical device, so that the apps knows NOT to try to use a device that is already in use. Maybe it is just as simple as returning -EBUSY , but right now i dont even think that the drivers have a way to do that.

As it is now, a hybrid device looks like it is two separate devices...

I dont know how to do it, but we should handle this for both cases (hybrid v4l/dvb devices and Full-Featured dvb devices)

Regards,

Michael Krufky