Re: TURBOSIGHT mini usb dvb-t receiver (try mail 3 times)

Hi,

German: "Steter Tropfen hoehlt den Stein."

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Fengjie Lin wrote:
> i'm an chinese undergraduater.my paper is about  the Linux-Based
> Driver   of  a portable DVB Receiver.
>
> Device: TURBOSIGHT mini usb dvb-t receiver
> (http://www.turbosight.com/english/products/product.htm)
> IC1: Af9005 (DVB-t COFDM Demodulater/Demux/USB-control)

Currently not supported. (Neither the demod-part nor the USB-part)

> IC2: Mt2060 (sillicon tuner)

We have a driver for that, but it is maybe not optimized. (Can be found in
hg/pb/v4l-dvb.stk3000p)

> Q1.how can i extract/design the firmware ?
> I 'm not sure i need a firmware .

Not so sure. By sniffing USB on Windows and looking at the output.

> Uli: Perhaps you can install the window version and try to search for
> other driver files. (give me hope...)
> Patrick: LinuxTV does not support the afatech demod/usb-combination.
> (make me faint...)

:)

> Q2.how can i code the driver?
> i only have 2 incomplete datasheets of the 2 IC , and not good at programming .

Depend how incomplete. If it just specification of the performance - too
bad, if there is some programming information - good.

> just follow the usb-skeleton.c/linux-dvb-api.pdf/ ...is OK?

For DVB USB there is a small framework which was done to make integration
of new devices easier (it cares about data transfer and some API-specific
stuff which has to be done for each device). Normally a driver inside that
framework can concentrate on the real driver-dependent stuff - nothing
else.

I use http://benoit.papillault.free.fr/usbsnoop/.

> Source Insight 3.5:   easy to read the Linux-kernel2.6.16;
> VMwareWorkstation5.5.1:   good assistant;
> Vim+gcc:   is it enough to program?

Yes. You should consider to work inside a checkout of v4l-dvb:
http://www.linuxtv.org/repo/

> and what tool can develop the firmware ?

I don't know what you mean: you want to develop the firmware or just to
extract. If there is a firmware extracting is much easier. Normally
usbsnoop can be used for that.

best regards,
Patrick.

--