MPEG4 AVC support? On DVB-C? With CAMs? On Twinhan Cab-CI?

Hi,

my local cable provider will kick off its HDTV broadcasts with the upcoming world cup (at no extra charge), and since I recently got a monitor that can do 1080* I thought I'd try to exploit the circumstances..

I have reports from local sources that the Twinhan Cab-CI coupled with an AlphaCrypt 3.05 CAM currently works, with SD MPEG2 DVB-C, on Windows. I have read reports on this list's archives that this card and its CI support work on Linux. Even mythtv claims support for both the card and its CI.

The problem is, the cable company recently announced that it would be using a new decoder for HDTV, made by Samsung; press release (in Dutch):
http://www.samsung.com/nl/presscenter/pressrelease/ce_20060306_0000237445.asp
MPEG4 AVC / H.264 seems to be a requirement for these broadcasts. Twinhan's website only lists MPEG2 as supported for the Cab-CI, and a local vendor (which is Windows-centric) seems to confirm this. I'm new to all this DVB terminology, so I'm thinking that this limitation might be in the bundled Windows software, and not the hardware.

Is there any chance that these MPEG4 broadcasts can be "seen" by this card under Linux so I can shove them into mplayer, which has H.264 support?

Does the Linux DVB code support MPEG4 streams at all? There are very few results from gmane when I search for "mpeg4" on the list archives..

If not, is there any other DVB-C card with a CI slot that would support these MPEG4 streams? The Terratec Cinergy 1200 perhaps?

Sorry if I'm asking questions with obvious answers, but this stuff is about as transparent and well-documented as X11 modelines or sendmail .mc files..

Thanks,

bbee