Re: updated snapshot, DVB card now wrong???

On 4/19/06, Simon Baxter <linuxtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I've been trying to update my drivers for my WinTV Nova-T card, installed
> the new snapshot from mercurial and now my device is recognised as a
> Conexant Winfast TV2000 XP (rev 05) !!!
>
> [root@media ~]# lspci -v
> ~snip
> 00:0a.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant Winfast TV2000 XP (rev 05)
>         Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.: Unknown device 9002
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
>         Memory at ea000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
>         Capabilities: [44] Vital Product Data
>         Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2
>
> and dmesg has all sorts of symbol errors.
>
> I tried re-installing an old CVS, but the lspci still has the wrong card.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

What you are doing wrong is simply the fact that you are believing
what lspci says.

lspci ALWAYS interprets 14f1:8800 as the Conexant card... it isn't
wrong either... the PCI ID on all cx88 cards is the same -- it is the
SUBSYSTEM id that identifies your individual card.

lspci is correctly identifying your card's subsystem id as 0070:9002
... Hauppauge Nova-T DVB-T

You can blame your distro for having an outdated pci id database.
Nobody cares anyway -- almost everyone is using the same outdated pci
id data.  Take a look in dmesg -- you will find that the cx88 driver
has in fact recognized your card correctly.

I repeat -- do not trust lspci -vv output.  If you want meaningful
output showing your actual pci id / subsystem id, do lspci -vn.

If you want this information to show up correctly in lspci, then you
will have to update your local pci id database from
pciids.sourceforge.net

I hope this helps,

Michael Krufky