Partial PSI packets

When I set up a psi filter (aka DMX_SET_FILTER) for a certain
pid, I notice that often my first read() from demux device returns
what appears to be garbage from a previous packet.
Not every time, but often enough to be a nuisance.

I also notice that the psi filters appears to have a lifetime that
extends beyond open/close.  That is, you can close demux and then
open it again and the psi filter appears to be still active!

In fact, I have found that I have to open the demux,
set a filter with dmx_sct_filter_params.filter.mask to all 0xff's,
and perform a read(), then close() to clear the filter.

Are there problems with the dvb driver (possibly bt8xx specific)
that might be causing these problems?

Regards
LinuxTv person