Re: [Proposal] Meaningful reporting of SNR

I demand that Trent Piepho may or may not have written...

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
[snip]
>> The average user doesn't care about "dB" or "BER" or whatever. He wants to
>> know whether the signal is "strong" and "good". At least that's what the
>> STBs I've seen show.

> This hasn't been my experience.  All my STBs have reported SNR in dB on
> their diagnostic page.

I've yet to see one which does that - IME, they report signal strength as a
percentage, though my Pace DVB-T STB also reports BER (its display uses the
words "bit error rate") and uncorrected errors per second.

[snip]
> Suppose my driver says signal level is 0xb48c, is that good?

Probably. I'd assume that 0xFFFF indicates a very strong signal, and 0xb48c
is "reasonably strong" (assuming a linear mapping to what my STB reports).

[snip]
| + Output less CO2 => avoid boiling weather.     TIME IS RUNNING OUT *FAST*.

Expect a letter from a friend who will ask a favour of you.