Re: [Proposal] Meaningful reporting of SNR

Rusty Scott wrote:
On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 16:57 +0200, Robert Schlabbach wrote:
From: "Rusty Scott" <rustys@xxxxxxxx>
1)  That it be encouraged to report SNR in dB whenever possible.
I'm afraid most hardware is incapable of producing such measurements.
Instead, I'd propose scaling all signal measurements to _percentages_.
Currently done.  Causes confusion.  Percentage is meaningless.

Why penalize the cards that are capable?  If SNR cannot be reported by a
card then it shouldn't be throwing out a number that isn't
representative of SNR.  If it is representative of SNR in some form, the
manufacturers I've dealt with provide the formula to compute SNR in dB.
SNR as a percentage is a useless number (Percentage of what? Largest
possible value a card can produce?).  Given the number of questions
concerning "What should I be seeing for SNR from XXX?" where the reply
is it should be "big", there are a number of people looking for a
meaningful, consistent, method to provide this information.  For ATSC
and QAM there is an SNR point where errors begin to degrade the quality
of what you see; the same applies to every transmission coding scheme.

Yeah, i agree with you, we are working on it such that we can do some standardization. We are in fact working on a proof of concept thing right now. Hopefully, many will like it when it is done.

Manu