Re: [Proposal] Meaningful reporting of SNR

Rusty Scott wrote:
It seems that a good number of digital receiver chips are capable of reporting a
meaningful SNR number, but the current drivers don't have a standard for
providing this meaningful data.  The current concept is a bigger value is
better than a smaller value, but the values have no meaning and can't be used
to compare performance between cards. To this end, I think that the SNR
reporting as it currently stands generates more confusion that it solves.  I
would like to propose the following:

1)  That it be encouraged to report SNR in dB whenever possible.
2)  That the format of the report be an integer value representing the SNR to
two significant digits. i.e. 32.15dB would be reported as 3215.
3)  For cards that don't provide signal strength directly (read from a
register), the strength be calculated from the SNR by mapping 30dB SNR to full
scale signal.
Coincidentally I've just been looking around the TV and DVB code and noticed the same thing. I agree whole heartedly that this should be done. It should also be done for the signal strength parameter.

Cheers,
Jeremy