Re: [v4l-dvb-maintainer] [RFC] V4L1 API removal proposal

Hi Mauro,

On 10.04.2006 00:36 Mauro Carvalho Chehab said the following:
> We should fix all obsolete V4L1 drivers to V4L2 API. This affects
> several V4L drivers, and a few DVB drivers, based on SAA7146.

It would be nice to have a list of which drivers are affected and to
what degree (ie. if only minor things need to be changed or if the whole
driver is affected).

Could you try to create such a list?

> If VIDEO_V4L1 is unselected, all drivers that use videodev.h or
> video_decoder.h instead of videodev2.h are hidden, so, only good V4L2
> drivers will be available.

For example, my MXB driver uses video_decoder.h to drive the saa7111
video decoder. What changes are necessary here?

IMO video_decoder can be dropped completely, because I know that the MXB
has a saa7111 and I know which features are used.

Will there be a new dedicated saa7111 driver that understands v4l2
ioctls then?

Or should I got and implement the few necessary i2c command sequences
directly? (probably not)

> You may see that only a few are currently V4L2 only drivers. However,
> there are several drivers that are almost V4L2 drivers, but still need
> just a few stuff from old headers.
>
> Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks for the initiative.

> Cheers,