Re: USB driver dmxdev crash on disconnection

Hi Mark,

sorry for the late (almost too late) answer.

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Mark Watson wrote:
Please help! Do I need to provide more information? I only really want to know
how I should be using the dvb_dmx_release. Presumably I need to check it is
not being used before calling, but can't work out what.

The problem you describe in your previous email is known. All in all the answer is, the dvb-core currently in not hot(un)plug capable. As currently only USB devices (correct me if I'm wrong) can be unplugged while running this only affects them.

The cinergyT2 implements a solution. Because it is using a "non-common" way of handling the dvb_frontend and in this way it has control of the frontendX device-nodes open and close. So what it does, basically, is to do a delayed free of the dvb_core-stuff when the device-node is used and the usb-box is unplugged.

This was implemented by Deti Fliegl.

So, the way to go could be to implement such a delayed-release inside dvb-core (in particular in dvbdev.c and maybe others). By doing so all dvb-hardware would be hotunpluggable, rather than just one particular driver...

Do you think you can take a look at it?

best regards,
Patrick.

--