[linux-dvb] A driver for EZ-USB FX2, Philips TU1216L DVB-T USB device?

Hi, Arnold

Arnold Ho wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> On 12/14/05, Patrick Boettcher <patrick.boettcher@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>Is it a publicly available device? If so, do you have a website?
>

> It is by a startup company and I haven't seen it on the market yet.
> There isn't much information available at the website(winux-it.com).
>

>>Hmm, yes, normally it is copy'n'paste + some adaptations.
>

> The tda1004x frontend code requires firmware from technotrend but I
> have got my own firmware to load.
>
> Am I right to simply set in dvb_usb_properties
> .firmware = "my_firmware"
>
> I feel like I am missing something here...
>

>>Do you have a usb-log for that box from the windows driver?
>

> I have the vendor requests and firmware. This is my school project
> with the startup and I had to sign an NDA.
>
> Would including the tda1004x frontend and dvb-usb cause license
> issues? Frankly, I am hoping the code can eventually be added into the
> kernel since IMHO it's the best way to support devices.
>
> Do proprietary drivers for the kernel not include any kernel code? I
> am confused.

I think one of the issues that confuse you is that you - to my
understanding - need two pieces of firmware.
One piece is the code for the Cypress microcontroller. You should have
gotten this.
The other piece is for the tda1004x. You can get this from Philips as
well. It depends on the board whether you need it. The tda10046 can
load it automatically from an on board eeprom. Most recent boards have
the eeprom stuffed.
To my understanding, you will not have license issues with the tda1004x.
The actual driver is GPL, the firmware - if you need it - is publicly
available. I can't tell about the Cypress chip and its fimware.
The kernel guys accept prorietary firmware. But with proprietary drivers
they are currently very picky, regardless of whether they includes kernel
code (violates the GPL) or just link to it.

Best regards
    Hartmut