[linux-dvb] Compro DVB-T300 signal strength

Hi Nick, Hartmut,

I read your posts recently on some "interesting" behaviour of the Compro DVB-T300 with different input signal levels. I suspect I may be having the same problem that Nick had with his external antenna.

I have an external antenna that gives good pictures on my analog TV, with some minor ghosting on a UHF channel around 500MHz. I also had good reception from a Twinhan (Visionplus, I think) for all local channels, from 177.5 MHz to 226.5 MHz and 536.5MHz. The Compro with its Windows software also works well on all channels, reporting signal strength of 85% for some, up to 100% (at 536.5MHz).

I'm still in the process of getting my Myth box going properly, but I'm at the stage where I have problems with DTV reception with the DVB-T300. Under Linux, with scan, the card picks up all channels but the 536.5MHz. During the scan on 536.5, the "signal quality" jumps between ~10% to ~90%, going in and out of lock. The final result is no lock, and the signal at 536.5 is not recognized.

I think I saw this behaviour on one of the ~200MHz channels as well, and I think it was one that reported 100% signal strength under the windows app.

It is making me wonder if there is something wrong with the AGC settings for the tuner/driver? Or perhaps the signal quality or signal level indication is being misinterpreted by the driver?

I thought about having a look at it myself, but I can't find a data sheet for either the TD1316 or TDA10046. I presume Philips are restricting distribution, with an NDA or similar. Do you have datasheets Hartmut? Have you tried to get them directly from Philips?

Cheers,
Mark

Mark Callaghan
Perth, Western Australia