[linux-dvb] Re: FusionHDTV3 Gold-T / Thomson DDT 7610 - analog NTSC tuner dead - digital ATSC still works

CityK wrote:

> Michael Krufky wrote:
>
>> CityK wrote:
>>
>>> a) Is there any chance that your loss of analog might be in any way
>>> related to this:
>>> http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2005-July/003536.html ?
>>> I'm not sure what Mac eventually introduced, or whether or not it
>>> would possibly have affected your card.
>>
>> No... Mac was talking about ways to switch RF inputs on the
>> FusionHDTV3 Gold-Q model, which used a microtune tuner with two RF
>> inputs.  My tuner only has one input, and it has always worked with
>> Mac's callback implementation.  Kirk has used a similar method to
>> implement this in nxt200x.
>>
> Yep, that is very clear.  I'm just throwing out ideas ... Recall that
> you wrote:
>
> / I use the same rf input to use
> />/ OTA VSB as I use for cable QAM.  I think that if you
> />/ altered the frontend like this, it could break the
> />/ usability on my board./
>
> I was just wondering if there was (a long shot) connection between
> your analog going dead and this.....I was thinking along the lines of
> a bit becoming "stuck" ... which reminds me, was there not discussion
> about something being stuck, and requiring a switch into a Windows
> environment to unstick the bit, early in the development of the Fusion
> drivers?

I appreciate the ideas, but unfortunately the rf selection isn't the
culprit here - Mac implemented this by using a callback that IS defined
for the Gold-Q card, but NOT defined for the Gold-T board.... BTW, if
there are any other boards that use lgdt330[2,3] , they can also use
this callback function to change RF inputs.

..and about that "stuck" bit, being fixed only by a cold boot -- That
was during development of the FusionHDTV5 Gold driver... completely
different animal, using LG DT3303 (instead of DT3302), and using
LG-TDVS-H062F, containing TUA6034 tuner (and tda9887), rather than the
Thomson DDT 7611 / [Temic/Microtune] 4042 tuner.

IIRC, we worked that out in the end by programming the tda9887 chip.

>>> b) What analog demodulator is used in the Fusion 3s
>>> (18ac:d800,18ac:d810,18ac:d820) ?  What did Mac use? (he didn't
>>> mention:
>>

>> Wow... Very interesting thread, although unrelated to this topic.
>
> I hummed and hawed about whether or not to start a new topic ... but
> as this particular discussion (dead analog in Fusion 3) was introduced
> in this thread, I thought I would continue it here....Nonetheless,
> thank you for adjusting the subject heading to more accurately reflect
> the topic.

You did nothing wrong... I was only trying to say that I didnt see the
relevance -- Thanks for explaining, now I see what you are saying.  I
was by NO MEANS criticising you for digressing from the thread topic.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

>> Wow... Very interesting thread, although unrelated to this topic. In
>> that thread, Mac was discussing DVB API changes needed to support the
>> American standards.
>
> Yes, I know what Mac was discussing.  Perhaps I didn't articulate my
> points to question b) very well.  Anyways, what I was trying to convey
> was:
> a) That was the first post Mac made regarding the Fusion 3, in
> particular, its analog side, and he didn't mention what analog
> demodulator it was using....In fact, I don't recall him ever
> mentioning what IC is employed.
> b) Discovering what analog demodulation IC is used might greatly aid
> in the discovery of why the analog side of your card is no longer
> functioning...and whether or not it can be restored (hopefully).

I agree.  Thanks for explaining this, I had missed your point,
originally.  How can I find out what IC is employed?  (I have a feeling
that you're going to tell me to write to DViCO -- They always reply to
my mails, but they take approx 2 months each time :-(  )

I'll take another look at the Thomson DDT 761x datasheet ... maybe
there's some info about it there.

/me hopes!

>> Anyhow,
>>
>> 18ac:d800 FusionHDTV3 Gold     temic4042 + lgdt3302
>> 18ac:d810 FusionHDTV3 Gold-Q   temic4042 + lgdt3302
>> 18ac:d820 FusionHDTV3 Gold-T   thomson7611 + lgdt3302
>
> Yes, I know all that (as you very well should know :-)  ) , but it
> still doesn't answer part (b) --> i.e. what's the analog demod.?

inquiring minds want to know

>> Please note: the 18ac:d800 subsystem id is not yet included in
>> cx88-cards.c, although card=17 will probably work.  If somebody can
>> confirm it, then I would be happy to add it in.
>
> Cool.  As you already know, I  picked this last part of the discussion
> up on the DVB list.  Perhaps Taylor or someone else will let us know.

Yes...  I also have information about FusionHDTV II ...  If anybody out
there has one, please let me know, and I'll send you a patch to test.

Cheers,

Michael Krufky