[linux-dvb] DVB-S2 and other (new) modulation standards

Rainer.scherg wrote:
> Felix Domke schrieb:
>> Think of -S2 again. Do you really want to have two logical frontends for
>> each physical one?
>

> DVB-S2 you only will have one frontend only.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway ;-).

I thought that when (if?) these new PC DVB cards come
out, they would be able to receive both DVB-S _and_ DVB-S2.
So from VDR's point of view this would just be one single
device and the device would decide, depending on the parameters
given to it when tuning, which method it actually is.

Of course the current method used to distinguish the device
types in VDR (FE_QPSK = DVB-S, FE_QAM = DVB-C and FE_OFDM = DVB-T)
wouldn't work any more, so other criteria might be necessary.
But basically a DVB-S device would be just one single device
(with only one single frontend), whether it can only do the
"old" DVB-S, or both DVB-S and DVB-S2.

At least that's how I would hope this would behave in the future.

Or am I totally missing something here?

Klaus