off-topic, was: Re: [linux-dvb] How to convert DVB video to DVD?

"Q: Why is top posting bad?"

It seems fine to me. After all isn't it logical to simply reply after the
last person to have posted. Aren't the last comments that were made
'history' by the time you post your own reply?

That is the way it works on forums - it is the way it works when you real
many mailing list archives (even if this one appears to have it's own
particular customs) - it is the way it works when I send an email to anyone
else. You make a statement, someone replies, then you in turn reply to it.
You don't make a statement, get a reply, repost the entire contents of that
reply above your next reply - and then send this instead.

TBH there is too much time being spent on this. Really it is just a matter
of preference. I am perfectly able to follow discussions in the way I have
described with no difficulty at all.

And why shouldn't my preference (or anyone else's) be just as valid as
yours? The only time it might be relevant is if you are quoting text (as I
did above) and even in English grammar, you don't always respond by
requoting everything a commentator says before making your own comment.

Anyway as I said, it seems (and probably is) a pretty random preference.

An example of this is that a previous poster posted approximately 10 lines
of interesting things to say before I had anything relevant to say in
return.

It looked plumb weird and inefficient making everyone read through 10 lines
of comments that they had already read in his original post before being
able to read my reply. (Given that all 10 lines were relevant to the single
reply I gave).

When rules don't make any sense you should certainly disobey (or better
still ignore) them.

As I have said previously no one's head is going to explode just because I
may prefer to lay my text out in a way that is different to what others
might prefer. There is no law set in stone anywhere that says your
preference is better than mine. The only thing that is bad is having rules
like this set in stone - because that is not how language works - and will
generally always lead to nonsensical scenarios - of the type that both you
and I have alluded to.

"Top posting" (which I would suggest is nothing more than a figment of your
imagination) can often be just as useful as 'bottom posting.

Anyway I will be unsubribing shortly, so you can continue this 'debate'
among yourselves.

GJ