[linux-dvb] [patch] Add support for different tuning algorithms

On Tuesday 15 Nov 2005 20:22, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> > Hi, this patch allows frontends (and the user) to select from one of
> > several different tuning algorithms. The patch adds four possibilities:
> >
> > 1) SW - the current dvb-kernel software zigzag code.
> > 2) HW - the hardware supports zigzagging internally (e.g. DST), so use
> > that as it will be faster.
> > 3) ADAPTIVE - frontend-specific code exploiting frontend-specific
> > features. 4) SIMPLE - just set the frontend once and do nothing else
> > (e.g. for frequency scanner apps).
> >
> > Frontends can specify which algorithms they support using
> > FE_CAPS_CAN_TUNE_ALGO_*. They can also specify the default algorithm to
> > use. Currently the default is SW for all frontends except the DST (which
> > has HW).
> >
> > ADAPTIVE is not implemented internally yet. Enough information to do this
> > for many frontends is provided on their datasheets - for example I know
> > roughly how to do it for the stv0299, stv0297, and sh1420 frontends. This
> > needs experimentation before any real adaptive code can be committed to
> > CVS however, but I thought it was better to change the API _once_ instead
> > of several times. None of the frontends currently set the
> > FE_CAN_TUNE_ALGO_ADAPTIVE flag, so it cannot be accidentally enabled.
> >
> > The userspace app can also choose an algorithm using an IOCTL.
> >
> > When a frontend device is opened read/write, the tuning algo will
> > automatically be set back to whatever the frontend specified as the
> > default - so that userspace apps don't have to care if something else
> > changed algos.
>
> I wanted to have a way to turn off zig-zag etc. for a long time.
>
> However, I would prefer to implement this via an
> FE_SET_FRONTEND_EXT (bad name, need a better one) ioctl,
> which is basically the same as FE_SET_FRONTEND plus an
> added flags field. This way you could have one flag
> for switching off zig-zag, one for switching band filters
> for analog tuning (some FE have IF output to feed an
> analog demod) etc.
>
> What do you think?

Yeah! I've been thinking along those lines myself a bit... discuss in a bit.

Anyway, here is the latest patch. This one is much better IMO:

1) The userspace IOCTL only lets you choose between normal and scan. We can
think about doing this using FE_SET_FRONTEND_EXT in a bit.

2) I've pulled all of the current tuning code in dvb_frontend_thread() out
into a seperate function dvb_frontend_swzigzag().

3) There is a new function pointer in the dvb_frontend_ops - tune(). If this
is nonzero, it will be called in the main tuning loop. The frontend is then
responsible for ALL of its own tuning maintenance. If is it NULL,
dvb_frontend_swzigzag() will be used.

BTW: dvb_frontend_ops.set_frontend() and dvb_frontend_ops.get_tune_settings()
are only used by the dvb_frontend_swzigzag().. if the driver defines tune(),
those functions are superfluous.