[linux-dvb] [patch] Add support for different tuning algorithms

Andrew de Quincey wrote:

>On Tuesday 15 Nov 2005 18:07, Felix Domke wrote:
>

>>Andrew de Quincey wrote:
>>

>>>Hi, this patch allows frontends (and the user) to select from one of
>>>several different tuning algorithms. The patch adds four possibilities:
>>>1) SW - the current dvb-kernel software zigzag code.
>>>2) HW - the hardware supports zigzagging internally (e.g. DST), so use
>>>that as it will be faster.
>>>3) ADAPTIVE - frontend-specific code exploiting frontend-specific
>>>features. 4) SIMPLE - just set the frontend once and do nothing else
>>>(e.g. for frequency scanner apps).
>>>

>>Though I didn't test this, i strongly agree that we need this. I don't
>>think it should be user selectable, though (except for the "SIMPLE"
>>mode) - either the frontends supports a specific algorithm or not.
>>Otherwise i fear that user applications start to workaround frontend
>>driver bugs by selecting another algorithm...
>>

>Hmm, yeah thats a good point. The userspace API should _really_ just be
>switchable between "standard" and "scan" mode.
>
>What constitutes "normal" mode is then up to the innards of the driver. OK,
>will update the patch to reflect this.

But that will apply to the adaptive algo only probably, since there
cannot be an alternative for the HW_ALGO as it will be implemented in
Hardware and no point in doing it otherwise. So the only 2 cases left
would be S/W and and ADAPTIVE, so switching between "standard" and scan"
mode might not make any difference.. ?

Or do you mean that the user does not have any option to switch between
ADAPTIVE and SW .. ?

Manu