[linux-dvb] Best way for multiple frontends on one dvb-adapter

Le Jeudi 03 Novembre 2005 10:44, Manu Abraham a ?crit?:
> Patrick Boettcher wrote:
> > As Ralph pointed out, there are applications out there, which are not
> > working with dvrX and demuxX (X >= 1). So in that case it's maybe
> > better to register a dvb_adapter per stream-input to be more
> > compatible with applications.
>
> It would be better to fix the broken applications, than to fix the
> applications that are broken in software. IMHO, this is a very bad
> workaround.

I agree. For example, it would take about 10 minutes to fix Kaffeine.
So, just do it the more convenient/consistent way, and apps will follow.

> I remember somebody suggesting me to incorporate for a bug in an
> application's CI stack for CA_PMT length in the driver since the
> application was doing it wrong.
>
> IMHO, driver/kernelspace is not the place to fix userspace application
> bugs/design.
>
> I would say that the application needs to be fixed in that case ,
> inorder to use the proper frontend/dvr/demux. I had been working a bit
> on a dual DVB-S card on the same approach. (But still struggling a bit
> on the tuner part a bit for now, since the same approach is used on both
> card types). ie,
>
> /dev/dvb/adapterX
>     /dev/dvb/adapterX/frontend0
>     /dev/dvb/adapterX/demux0
>     /dev/dvb/adapterX/ca0
>     /dev/dvb/adapterX/dvr0
>
>     /dev/dvb/adapterX/frontend1
>     /dev/dvb/adapterX/demux1
>     /dev/dvb/adapterX/ca1
>     /dev/dvb/adapterX/dvr1

AFAIU, an application could stop probing as soon as there is no X+1 (as for
frontendN+1). Can you confirm ?

--
Christophe Thommeret