[linux-dvb] Diagnostics and discovery...

I'm trying to write some utilities to probe for devices (switches,
LNB's, positioners, etc) present on a Diseqc bus...  and was wondering
if anyone had any experience in doing so.

For instance, if you had a fairly straightforward configuration, such
as a monoblock LNB (universal), a positioner, and a Diseqc amplifier/
switch, how do you probe each for each, figure out its status, default
state, etc?

And what can you do to verify status, functioning, etc?

Perhaps starting with something simple like continuity, then detecting
status, then more complex information about each device, etc...
Of course, this assumes that everything supports bi-directional
communication (Diseqc 2.0)...  Not sure what to do in the case of
1.0, 1.1, or 1.2 devices...

Not sure I understand the signalling differences between switches that
run on tone versus those that use burst, or which is more current...

Any information appreciated.

Thanks,

-Philip