[linux-dvb] Re: Make errors for CVS drivers

cardboil wrote:
> Jon:
>
> Perfect!  Here is what I did based on your suggestion and it seems to
> have worked:
>
> Downloaded the CVS versions of dvb-kernel and video4linux
> # cd /home/mythtv
> # cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvs/video4linux co -P
> v4l-kernel
>
> Go to /home/mythtv/v4l-kernel/linux/drivers/media/video/ and copy all
> content except CVS folder into
> /usr/src/kernels/2.6.13-1.1526_FC4-i686/drivers/media/video/ directory
> (this will copy the bttv, video-buf and other files into my kernel
> sources directory).

Strictly speaking this is wrong because the v4l header files that your
using don't necessarily match those that were used to compile the
current v4l kernel modules. OTOH - You may get away with what you've
done provided the differences are trivial. Just be aware that if you get
an oops then you may need to go back and use the correct files from the
kernel-<version>.src.rpm (or rebuild all the v4l modules too).

> Applied my patch to the av7110 c file in the dvb-kernel directory.
>
> # cd ./dvb-kernel/build-2.6
>
> Commented out lines 15-18 (since it was the bttv driver which was
> causing problems, and I didn't need it since I am using Nexus-s):
>   15 # ifneq ($(CONFIG_VIDEO_BT848),,)
>   16 # export BTTV=yes
>   17 # endif
>
> # make
> # rmmod ... - to remove the existing DVB modules (which came as a part
> of the kernel)

FWIW - You can use ./insmod.sh unload to remove the previous drivers
instead of having to do a manual rmmod.

> # ./insmod.sh load
>
> After that, the new driver seemed to get picked up and everything works.
>
> Now, a final question for you: Do I need to do anything special to load
> these newly drivers automatically upon reboot (like put something in the
> modprobe.conf file, or did the .insmod script take care of that already)?
>
> Thank you very very much!

'make modules_install' should copy the files to the kernel module
directory and it should load the modules automatically at startup.
Alternatively you could add the insmod.sh unload / load calls in your
/etc/rc.local.

	Jon