[linux-dvb] API ioctls for Bypass and RAW Audio

Hi,

is there really no one out here which want to be able to
use RAW Audio streams? That means replaying Audio without
the needs of a PES remuxer?  The hardware can do it, the
firmware will support it ... but the DVB API 3 and
DVB API 4 seems not be designed for this approach.

How to extend the DVB API 3 for RAW Audio replay?
Do I need a new ioctl or should I extend
AUDIO_SELECT_SOURCE by something like AUDIO_SOURCE_MEMORY_RAW
or use the AUDIO_SET_STREAMTYPE and define a type
class AUDIO_CAP_RAW_XXX.

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 06:56:16PM +0200, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just finished two steps in the firmware for the FF DVB cards of TT.
> The first is the possiblity of AC3 for Live channels and the other
> if the playback of RAW Audio like Mpeg Audio, PCM, AC3, and DTS.
>
> Therefore I'd like to ask about some ioctls which aren't
> very well documented in the dvb-kernel.
>
> I guess that for switching the firmware into bypass for the next
> Audio PID of a Live channel the ioctl:
>
>      AUDIO_SET_BYPASS_MODE
>
> is usable, isn't it?
>
> Which ioctl should be used for playpack RAW Audio?  I've found
> two ioctl's:
>
>      AUDIO_SET_STREAMTYPE
>
> and
>
>      AUDIO_SET_ATTRIBUTES
>
> ...  currently the first one is NOP in av7110.c and the second
> is not implemented.  For the second I've found in audio.h of
> the API for the user space:
>
>   typedef uint16_t audio_attributes_t;
>   /*   bits: descr. */
>   /*   15-13 audio coding mode (0=ac3, 2=mpeg1, 3=mpeg2ext, 4=LPCM, 6=DTS, */
>   /*   12    multichannel extension */
>   /*   11-10 audio type (0=not spec, 1=language included) */
>   /*    9- 8 audio application mode (0=not spec, 1=karaoke, 2=surround) */
>   /*    7- 6 Quantization / DRC (mpeg audio: 1=DRC exists)(lpcm: 0=16bit,  */
>   /*    5- 4 Sample frequency fs (0=48kHz, 1=96kHz) */
>   /*    2- 0 number of audio channels (n+1 channels) */
>
> it seems that for the bit field 5-4 the value 2 for 44.1kHz and
> the value 3 for 32kHz are missed.
>
> For what the ioctls AUDIO_SET_STREAMTYPE and AUDIO_SET_ATTRIBUTES
> should by used.

       Werner

--
AC3 loop through sound card http://bitstreamout.sourceforge.net/