[linux-dvb] Writing custom network DVB driver

Hello List,

I have plans to write a DVB driver which would take a stream of data
going across the network, and make it available to a ficticious DVB
device so that applications such as mythtv could access it.

I would like to know a few things:

1. I have an MPEG4 video stream coming through the network. From what
I know, DVB works with MPEG2. Although this may seem crazy, is it
possible to take the MPEG4 and pass it through the DVB driver, or must
it come out in MPEG2.

2. If it must come out in MPEG2, would it be crazy to, on the fly,
reencode in MPEG2?

3. The stream going across the network has major and minor channels,
similar to DVB. With a DVB driver, how is the "channel up" and
"channel down" configured. When a "channel up" or "channel down" is
sent to the driver, how does it choose from the major and minor
channels what it wants.

4. I know v4l2 is an option for writing a driver, although usually not
used for digital broadcasting such as the one i'm talking about. If
anyone here suggests using it anyway, i'd like to hear reasons for it,
which may change my mind. (one reason is that the MPEG4 could pass
right through) Thanks!

Luc Gallant