[linux-dvb] PATCH: Generic FE_DISHNETWORK_SEND_LEGACY_CMD support

On 9/26/05, Johannes Stezenbach js-at-linuxtv.org
|linuxdvb(NI)/1.0-Allow| <...> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 06:51:13AM -0700, NooneImportant wrote:
> > On 9/24/05, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> > > It is fine by me. I don't think we need real names for s-o-b,
> > > we can't check them anyway. How would I know if Michael Krufky
> > > is your real name?
> > >
> > Yes, actually, I would prefer not to have my name in the linux kernel,
> > but the email address I provided can be used to contact me.  Is there
> > anything else I need to do to the patch, or is it acceptable as it is
> > now?
>
> Patch looks fine, I will apply it.
>
> Could you please test if the SAA7146_I2C_SHORT_DELAY flag
> fixes the dishnetwork emulation for you stv0299 budget card?
> (Because I don't see why set_voltage() should be slower on
> stv0299 than on other frontends.)

I don't have a budget card in my system right now, so I can't test it
at the moment.
As I recall the problem was these two commands at the top of
stv0299_set_voltage:
        reg0x08 = stv0299_readreg (state, 0x08);
        reg0x0c = stv0299_readreg (state, 0x0c);

The time it took for them to return was often longer than 8ms on my
Nova-S card (but not on my Nexus-S).  Is this something that
SAA7146_I2C_SHORT_DELAY could fix?  I'll try it again when I get a
chance though.

I should mention that even with the tuned code in stv0299.c, my budget
card only manages to successfully control the switch 80% of the time.
The problem appears to be (from examining with an o-scope) that the
voltage control is just not very precise on that card (lots of noise
on the output as it switches compared to the Nexus-S, which is very
clean).  I don't think  there is anything that can be done about that
though.