[linux-dvb] mt352 readreg error avermedia 771

Ronnie, Miguel thanks for both of your quick replies.

Right I from my understanding of the problems I believe that a "race" is
going on as to when this card is detected. I think that it is most likely in
the i2c part of the driver (more justification below). So I have two
questions:

1) Seeing as the card works in most cases do the driver writers have the
time and inclination to help find this bug? I am happy to put a lot of
effort into testing and narrowing down where the problem might lie however I
have done no kernel coding (but do know c++ well and am happy to play with
kernel source code but wont know what am doing with it). I dont want to put
all this effort in though for noone to use it.

2) Is this the right list for the problem? It is a dvb card though I dont
know whether it is the mt352.c or the bttv-i2c.c files (maybe even some more
generic i2c code) AFAIK the mt352.c is 'maintained' on this list whereas the
bttv-i2c.c is on the v4l list. Is this correct?

My reasons for thinking it is a race: My problem started when i changed the
power supply, thats it worked fine before changed the power supply and
stopped. I tried the card in another machine it worked so thought I must
have damaged the motherboard. So changed the motherboard and the same
problem. The card worked in one machine and not another even though both had
identical kernels. However I thought as a last attempt would try a knoppix
CD to see if that worked and it did so installed vanilla-2.6.11.12 kernel
and it worked again. So it consistently works with 2.6.11 and fails with
2.6.13 on one machine but works with 2.6.13 on anaother. So the problem can
be sorted by both hardware and software changes (seemingly independent). If
it can be assumed that both of these cause and solve the same bug then the
bug must be in both hardware and software, the only way this could happen is
a "race" which is affected by hardware.

This fits with both Ronny and Miguel's experience. Ronny can seem to affect
the race by leaving his power supply plugged in.

Ronny, Miguel I would be interested to know if either of you have any
problems with the either the vanilla 2.6.11.12 <http://2.6.11.12> kernel or
the latest version of knoppix 3.9? If you dont then this race has been
introduced since then. I would also like to hear from anyone else who has
had this problem and if it is consistent/different from above.

Many thanks

Paul

P.S. bit more info. The problem only happens at boot, if it is detected fine
it works perfectly till next reboot, if not then wont work till (possible)
next reboot. I have had the card working then reboot the machine without
changing anything software wise and it stops working.