[linux-dvb] libs/ packaging

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 Guido Draheim wrote:
> please introduce
> libdir = $(INSTDIR)/lib
> includedir = $(INSTDIR)/lib
>
> please replace
> - $(INSTDIR)/lib
> + $(DESTDIR)$(libdir)
>
> please replace
> - $(INSTDIR)/include
> + $(DESTDIR)$(includedir)
>
> please introduce pkg-config file
> echo "libdir=$(libdir)"
> echo "includedir=$(libdir)"
> echo "Name: linuxtv-libdvbxxx"
> echo "Description:linuxtv dvb xxx library"
> echo "Version: 0.1"
> echo "Libs: -L$(libdir) -ldvbxxx"
> echo "Cflags: -I$(includedir)"
> - and install to $(libdir)/pkgconfig

Please send patches ;-)

> Note that the current headers are using
> some #include <cfg/xxx.h> but the headers
> are being installed to $(libdir)/dvb/ so
> that a different includepath is required.
> ... Using a different subpath under the
> includedir is usually meaningless unless
> one does want to do versioning on the
> includepath (like include/gtk-1.2 in
> parallel with include/gtk-2.0). What's
> the point about the different subpaths?
>
> OTO, I do not see any readme hint pointing
> to an actual program that makes use of these
> libs. I have had a similar approach to
> buidl a dvblib which did look very similar
> and I am using it for some desktop applets.
> Did I miss a message on actual usage while
> I was away from the list? Or is this just
> academic work?

Yeah, it's suspicious that there is total silence after that
rush of activity to create the library.
Anyway, IMHO it's too early to package these libs for
distributions, I think they are largely untested and
not officially released (well their exisitance has
been announced IIRC, but not in a way which promises a
half-way stable API, including include file paths).

To start with we have both dvb-apps/lib/ and dvb-apps/libs/,
and they both contain a slightly different version of
libdvbcfg, and no document exists which explains that.

Maybe you can hunt down the authors and pressure them
for information, I'm sure they'll appreciate your interest
in their work.

Johannes