[linux-dvb] Re: Anysee E30 USB2 DVB-T support?

Hi,

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Heikki Hannikainen wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16 2005 Patrick Boettcher wrote:
>> Also every other technical detail (high-res picture of the innards, and
>> descriptions and labels from the box's case) can be helpful, too. But
>> the usbsnoop-log is the most important help.
>
>  Pekka apparently provided everything else already, here are the photos of
> this little box:
>
>  http://jellona.antila.iki.fi/~antila/anysee-e30-1.jpg
>  http://jellona.antila.iki.fi/~antila/anysee-e30-2.jpg

Interesting. The device uses the same tuner as the Twinhan Alpha. I'm
wondering if the the rest of the stick/box is also identical to the Alpha.

If so, it could be worth a try to load the firmware of the Alpha and see
if the E30 will work with the Alpha-driver (vp7045), too. But it is risky,
because the firmware can damage your E30...

The best way would be to have the specs from the vendor
(http://anysee.com/), but they also denied to make them public to help
developers write OpenSource driver.

The second best way would be to reverse-engineer the windows driver with
usbsnoop or something, but this is very time-cosuming.

Also, there are plenty of other USB2 device working 100% in Linux. (There
is actually a good list of supported device in the DVB wiki, but currently
unavailable, because of very very stupid idiots).

At this point I would strongly recommend not to buy AnySee products when
running them in Linux, until they are going to change their minds.

best regards,
Patrick.

--
   Mail: patrick.boettcher@xxxxxxx