[linux-dvb] FIX: No recovery after lost lock

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 01:00:41AM +0200, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 Marian Durkovic wrote:
> > >   I found a big thread on linux-dvb list couple of months old, about problems
> > > with retuning after lost lock.
> > >
> > >   I was experiencing the same situation - but only with dvb-kernel drivers.
> > > My old boxes with 2.4.20 kernel and DVB branch never had this problem.
> > > The new box was never able to retune even after signal degradation by heavy
> > > rain or after cable disconnecting/reconnecting.
> > >
> > >   My oscilloscope was showing the 22 kHz signal even after lost lock, but the
> > > card was not able to retune. Restarting the application always solved the
> > > problem.
> > >
> > >   Finally I found the reason - it's the following code in dvb_frontend.c:
> > >
> > >                         /* if we're tuned, then we have determined the correct i
> > > nversion */
> > >                         if ((!(fe->info->caps & FE_CAN_INVERSION_AUTO)) &&
> > >                             (fe->parameters.inversion == INVERSION_AUTO)) {
> > >                                 fe->parameters.inversion = fe->inversion;
> > >                         }
> > >
> > >   If this is commented out, the frontend is able to retune.
> >
> > Has anyone had time to look into this? Anyone else seeing the
> > problem, and if yes does that change fix it?
>
> No more people with SAT-equipment willing to test and/or comment
> on this?

No problems with a Nexus-S Rev  2.1 (BSRU6 tuner, stv0299).
Tested with kernel 2.6.12 + dvb-kernel CVS + vdr 1.3.30.

Nevertheless, if fe->inversion is set to the wrong value, recovery will
fail because the frontend thread will use this value for recovery...

@Marian:
Which kernel version, which application software did you use?
Could you tell us the value of fe->inversion?

Oliver

VDR Remote Plugin available at
http://www.escape-edv.de/endriss/vdr/