[linux-dvb] FusionHDTV5

Mac Michaels wrote:

>On Monday 29 August 2005 08:11 pm, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
>

>>I've looked at the Dvico site, and I've done some
>>googling, and read past threads on this board, but I'm a
>>little confused.  How does the analog tuner fit into the
>>picture?  Specifically:
>>
>>2) Assuming yes to #1, does the analog tuner include a
>>hardware encoder like a WinTv 250 or 150?  Or is it a
>>software tuner?  Does it require the use of a sound card
>>while recording to handle audio?
>>

>The CX238801 chip has the hardware encoder for both audio
>and video.

Decoder!  The cx2388x Video decoder is decoding the baseband signals to RGB or YCbCr (aka, incorrectly, YUV).

To be simplistic, a decoder turns the signal into a format that the host can natively display.  Whereas an encoder converts the signal into a format that the host can not natively display -- that is, the encoded signal has to be decoded back to a natively handled format (i.e this applies to MPEG, Xvid, etc, etc, etc...) before it can be displayed

Sorry for jumping on your posts Mac, but as Michael K's slip the other day (regarding Mpeg offloading) indicated, incorrectly terming the cx2388x's operations will likely generate confusion, and in no time there will be several posts on the list wondering whether there is a hardware encoder or not.  And quite simply, there is no hardware encoder on board (or hardware Mpeg2 decoder, as we dispelled the other day!)

>>Also, looking at the Dvico site, I get the impression
>>that the Gold can offload Mpeg2 -> DivX transcoding.  Can
>>anything take advantage of this on Linux?
>>

>There is nothing to support this on the Gold card unless
>DViCO has changed the design in the last few weeks.

Drew, as Mac noted, this is not a hardware feature of the card.  What
you have spotted refers to Windows software you can use to achieve the
transcoding.