[linux-dvb] Re: Fusion HDTV 5 Gold - TUA6034

Patrick Boettcher wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Michael Krufky wrote:
>
>> Patrick Boettcher was talking about writing a driver for TUA6034...
>> You should discuss your ideas with him and make sure you dont
>> duplicate work.
>
> Hmm, yes, my idea is to write a seperate PLL-module for the tua6034,
> which would work the like a frontend-driver then (attach-function,
> config-struct). The config-struct will be filled with some
> card/device-specific-parameter and then there will some exported
> functions which can be called to control the PLL with all its
> parameters/attributes (Analog/digital, f_ref-divider...) I'm not ready
> yet and I'm even not sure if the result will be useful, but in any
> case it will compensate the disandvantages of a dvb_pll-struct.

Sounds good to me...  It makes sense to write a separate module like you
suggest, because otherwise we would be writing TUA6034-specific code
from within tuner-core or dvb-pll or cx88-dvb or something else... And
this wouldn't cut it, because the LG H062F / TUA6034 / LGDT3303 combo
also appears in the bt878-based card: FusionHDTV 5 Lite (I added
preliminary analog support to v4l cvs last night -- audio broken, but
great picture, can tune all channels, and closed captions work great,
although sometimes the language changes to the wrong language by itself)

> I hope I can get something ready later that day. I will first test it
> with one of my USB boxes (which uses the tua6034)...

Your "tonight" is my "just got home from work..." (seven hour time
difference) If you have something ready, I'd be happy to test it.  No
rush though ;-)

> By saying this, do you already see some pitfalls I haven't considered
> yet?
>
> The original idea is that a lot of newer PLLs/tuners are not fit into
> the 4byte-schema and seperate PLL functions/drivers are necessary
> anyway. So why not starting with a known one.

I think that you are correct.  It just seems to me as if TUA6034 needs
to be handled on its own, just as you suggest... If you need any
information from me, please let me know.

Thank you.

--
Michael Krufky