[linux-dvb] voltage control for DVB-T and DiSEqC switches

From: "Felix Domke" <tmbinc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> The point was to drain as less power as possible. 13V is probably
> 14V most of the time, so it should be a small (with 100mA, it would
> be 200mW.

Show me a DiSEqC switch that consumes 100mA in "pure DiSEqC" mode and I'll
show you a BROKEN device. A switch which operates in this mode should
consume next to no current at all. Thus, it makes no difference whether the
voltage in 12V or 13V.

> But you're right, it's more a mental setting with the meaning of
> "stop that legacy crap, use diseqc, only diseqc".

Problem is that the "legacy crap" is still considerably faster to switch
than DiSEqC. Using 13/18V/0/22kHz switching, you can lock to a new
transponder after switching both voltage and tone in less than 10ms.
Sending a DiSEqC command takes over 50ms and may require repeating. The
"legacy crap" is faster and more reliable than DiSEqC that's why it won't
go away anytime soon. Maybe it is time for something better than DiSEqC...

Regards,
--
Robert Schlabbach
e-mail: robert_s@xxxxxxx