[linux-dvb] twinhan bttv hang bug in kernel 2.6.13

Michael Krufky wrote:
> Graeme Christie wrote:
>
> >It seems to me as if this bug has resurfaced again. I had no problems
> >patched for gentoo-sources, but I don't think there were any bttv
> >related patches). When trying to upgrade to either 2.6.13-rc3 or
> >2.6.13-rc3-mm1 I was getting a hang when loading bttv, both from the
> >kernel vedeo4linux tree and from the latest cvs (18/7/2005). I applied
> >the patch Manu posted months ago from
> >http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/attachments/20050404/00967085/bttv-cards.c-0001.bin
> >to the video4linux cvs source compiled againt 2.6.13-rc3-mm1 and the
> >problem was fixed.
> >
> >Just thought that anyone else crawling this list for fixed might want
> >to know. Did the fix not make it into the video4linux cvs tree ? (the
> >patch applied cleanly)
>
> I am one of the "cvs maintainers" of the video4linux tree... The
> official maintainer is on vacation right now.  Is this an analog board
> or a DVB board?  Can you send the link to the original email?  The file
> linked to above is showing up as a binary file and I don't know what to
> do with it.
>
> If the patch that you speak of is indeed a patch to the video4linux
> tree, and it prevents a hang in the bttv driver, then sure, it should be
> applied.  Please send that patch into the video4linux list
> <video4linux-list@xxxxxxxxxx> and then it can be applied to cvs, and if
> it actually fixes a bug and doesnt break anything else, then we can even
> apply it to 2.6.13 before it gets released.

There is a better patch. It probably got lost because it was
applied to the kernel which v4l was maintainer- and CVS-less.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/linux.kernel/msg/6a27dd3dc46a5b5b?dmode=source&hl=en

It would be cool if you could apply this patch to v4l CVS and
send it to akpm for inclusion into 2.6.13 (hopefully), as
the "hang at boot" issue is quite nasty.

Johannes