[linux-dvb] Re: LGDT3302 stuff

Mac Michaels wrote:

>On Tuesday 28 June 2005 07:03 pm, Michael Krufky wrote:
>

>>To be honest with you, I am just guessing here on how to
>>give dvb support to my card.  I don't think that this is
>>a problem with your driver, rather a matter of
>>implementing it on a different board.  For all I know, it
>>might be working fine except that I might even be testing
>>it incorrectly.  I dont have any other dvb card and thus
>>have no experience with dvb.
>>

>I have no dvb experience either. Testing was a problem for
>me too. I started by getting the scan program to work
>reliably and detect my local channels. Fortunately the scan
>program had just been modified for OTA ATSC so it just
>worked. I examined the v4l2 tuner code to see how to make
>it work in the dvb code. I know you will need a different
>file for channel frequencies than I use as cable channels
>above 13 are allocated different frequencies from OTA
>channels.

Looks like we're on the same page right here...

>For testing you might consider reducing the number of
>independent variables by using OTA VSB. The scan program is
>known to work with that.
>
>You might just try OTA with a piece of wire attached to the
>center conductor or the RF connector. I live on top of a
>hill in the country so multipath interference is not a
>problem for me. A $15 RadioShack UHF aimed at the
>transmitter really reduced the error rate.

I tried using the FM Antennae from my bttv radio card... Of cource I
didnt get any results, but I didnt get anything running the same test
under Windows, either... This leads me to conclude that OTA VSB isn't
available in Brooklyn, New York :-(

>>I believe that I have my
>>patch set up correctly, and my only room for error is in
>>dvb-pll.c, or maybe in cx88-mpeg - but I doubt that.
>>

>I put in some extra stuff that I found in the spec to make
>the MircoTune tuner change channels faster. It may not work
>with your tuner. Can you point me to a spec for your tuner?

I am unable to locate specs for the Thomson DDT 7611.  What is the extra
stuff for the Microtune tuner that you speak of?  I can try removing
these and see if it helps...

>>But
>>yes, I would love for you to help me, if possible.  I am
>>currently in the irc chat room #v4l and also in #linuxtv.
>> (8:05pm EST) Hopefully we can meet in there.
>>

>I got there at 10:02 CDT and said Hi. You left at 10:20 CDT
>without responding.

I didn't see you... It could have been the same irc netsplit problem
that we had that first day we met on irc... Oh well... Thank you for
trying to meet me, I appreciate it.

>I usually watch tv from 5:30 to 11:30 skipping the 10:00
>news. Then I check email and go to bed. When I get my
>problem solved, video card runs out of resources trying to
>decode a HD stream, I'll spend less time watching TV during
>prime time.

I went to bed (relatively) early last night as well, after watching two
hours of HBO's Carnivale... What a great show!

>>If not,
>>what information can I give you that would enable you to
>>help me?
>>

>Does anything work?

I got result codes 0x08 and 0x09 while scanning QAM256 from cable.  I
told you about these in a previous email, where you explained to me the
following:

	FE_HAS_SIGNAL     = 0x01,   /*  found something above the
noise level */
	FE_HAS_CARRIER    = 0x02,   /*  found a DVB signal  */
	FE_HAS_VITERBI    = 0x04,   /*  FEC is stable  */
	FE_HAS_SYNC       = 0x08,   /*  found sync bytes  */
	FE_HAS_LOCK       = 0x10,   /*  everything's working... */
	FE_TIMEDOUT       = 0x20,   /*  no lock within the last ~2
seconds */
	FE_REINIT         = 0x40    /*  frontend was reinitialized,

...so this means that in many cases I am finding something above the
noise level, and in some cases I am also finding sync bytes.... This is
the best I got so far...

It has just occurred to me that I need to change the scanning
frequencies in the atscscan program in order for it to handle US
ATSC/QAM256 ... Can you advise on how to do so?

--
Michael Krufky