[linux-dvb] udev creating device nodes too slow

Sebastian wrote:
> I use udev all the way and I use the dvb drivers as modules, because I
> think if vdr hangs, or there are OSD problems, or when the picture stays
> black, it could help to not only restart VDR but also reload the DVB
> modules.
> The problem is when I start VDR right after modprobing the DVB modules,
> it exits with "No devices found". I have to use
>
> modprobe ...
> sleep 9
>
> because 9 secs is the time it takes to create the DVB device nodes.
>
> Now, is there a trick that would help udev to create device nodes for
> DVB devices instantly? Or should I build the modules statically into the
> kernel? Another solution could be removing udev and going back to devfs,
> but as devfs is obsolete I'd like to stay away from that possibility.

I also observed this, and I think it is an udev issue, but didn't
look into it so far. It might not be udev directly but something else
called from hotplug events, like HAL.
In case it matters, I'm using Debian unstable.

Would be cool if someone had time to look into it.

Johannes