[linux-dvb] udev creating device nodes too slow

Sebastian schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> I use udev all the way and I use the dvb drivers as modules, because I
> think if vdr hangs, or there are OSD problems, or when the picture stays
> black, it could help to not only restart VDR but also reload the DVB
> modules.
> The problem is when I start VDR right after modprobing the DVB modules,
> it exits with "No devices found". I have to use
>
> modprobe ...
> sleep 9
>
> because 9 secs is the time it takes to create the DVB device nodes.
>
> Now, is there a trick that would help udev to create device nodes for
> DVB devices instantly?
IIRC udev creates the devices as soon as they appear in /sys.So I guess
there is nothing udev can do about that.
Probably the driver initialization just takes somes time. Several
devices first need to upload some kind of firmware and then boot a DSP
processor before you can use them.
My dec2000t box needs ~10s to do that, for example.
Whats the problem with
modprobe ...
sleep 9
start vdr ?