[linux-dvb] Re: kernel memleak with DVB drivers

On Saturday 18 June 2005 22:57, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 11:50:39PM +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> > start the epg scanner, basically:
> > #!/bin/bash
> > for i in arte ZDF N24 BR-alpha Eurosport VOX; do
> > 	tzap -r $i > /dev/null 2>&1 &
> > 	pid=$!
> > 	tv_grab_dvb > /dev/null
> > 	kill $pid
> > 	sleep 1
> > done
> >
> > after this, log "free", /proc/slabinfo and /proc/meminfo again.
> > Repeat.
>
> what i forgot: I also tried with a running "dvbrowse" (from xawtv4)
> instead of tv_grab_dvb and with the dvbd/dvbcat combo instead of
> tzap, in various combinations and it alwas had the same effect.
> I can change channels endlessly if no "EPG grabber" is running without
> memory problems.
>
> > else looks normal. After ~25 to 30 rounds, the machine runs OOM,
> > without even starting to swap (sure, kernel memory cannot be swapped).
>
> Both machines have 256MB RAM.

Interesting! Every now and then one of our DVB servers dies because it runs
out of memory... Nothing changes on the server to cause it as far as I can
tell (all they do is sit there receiving DVB signals and retransmitting it).
I've never managed to track the issue down further because they're remote
servers, and when this problem happens, it is impossible to login to them. It
only happens very infrequently for us - but we have a completely different
usage pattern from you.