[linux-dvb] DVB file formats

On Thursday 16 June 2005 10:40, Robert Schlabbach wrote:
> From: "Johannes Stezenbach" <js@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > I would prefer "service", too.
> > How about "multiplex"? Mostly used for dvb-t, but IMHO more generic
> > than "transponder".
>
> Time to check out the ETSI docs. See ETSI EN 300 468 chapter 3 "Definitions
>
> an abbreviations":
> | multiplex: stream of all the digital data carrying one or more services
> | within a single physical channel
> |
> | service: sequence of programmes under the control of a broadcaster which
> | can be broadcast as part of a schedule
>
> Also see Figure 1, which shows the hierarchy:
>
> Networks -> Multiplexes -> Services -> Components
>
> So "multiplex" and "service" are the DVB/ETSI defined terms.

Great! Will update the examples later.

BTW: I was thinking last night. Do we actually need to know all the PMT
entries for the services.

On the sample for a channel, I have:

Where I was expecting there to be a line for each entry in the PMT.

However, the only reason for having this information is to speed up lock
times. We don't actually need information on _every_ ES - just the last
audio/video ES that the user selected. The rest can be pulled from the PMT
once the channel is up and running. Comments?