[linux-dvb] Re: Newbie question: how to get initial frequency file data+

Hi Tiger,

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Tiger Degraw wrote:
> This worked like a charm, thanks! I'm now able to tune
> and read the device as an mpeg2 stream. W00t!
>
> One question, though - I'd like to use xine directly,
> but it wants a channels.conf output in VDR format, and
> atscscan doesn't support it at the present time. Can
> anyone clue me in on a conversion script, or a
> workaround for that?

Afaik, No one has defined a VDR-format for ATSC-channels yet. Probably
because no one in an ATSC-country wants to use VDR (or is unable to add
ATSC-stuff and support to VDR).

If you want to implement it, try the following:

Get the latest vdr-version from here (currently 1.3.25):
ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/pub/people/kls/vdr/Developer/

Understand the channels.conf-formats currently existing for DVB-S/C/T.
Adapt a format to be appropriate for ATSC channels. (IMHO, a good start
would be to think about the PSIP-VCT-attributes, besides basic tuning
information.) Create a patch to current scan to be able to put out
VDR-comaptible channels.confs.

Hmm, it's even better to contact the vdr-mailing-list first about that.
Maybe someone already thought about it (http://www.linuxtv.org/lists.php).

Good luck,
Patrick.

--