[linux-dvb] Audio Description and multiple audio pids

Monty <monty-dvb@xxxxx> writes:

> Of course, another potential problem with this is that the
> audio-description APids seam to transmit 64 Kbits mono whereas the
> standard APid's stream at 128/192 Kbits.  It would seam to me that the
> different encoding rates wouldn't mix very easily.
>
> If anyone has any ideas on how I can accomplish listening to both at
> once that would be really great!

I think that the solution involves the mixer property of ALSA sound (I
hope you use ALSA, because I'm not sure that you can pull this trick
with OSS).

I think you should run mplayer on one audio stream at a time, but run
2 mplayer (one for the audio stream , the other for the description).

The trick will be to use an ALSA device that can mix both audio
streams. Try with the default one, then 'dmix' device (mplayer -ao
alsa:device=dmix)

If it does not work, you should ask the alsa user list for advice.

HTH